Roundtable Develops Action Plan for Addressing Housing Demand
Last month, 25 experts from across the country joined a roundtable discussion on “A Spectrum of Possibilities: Decreasing Barriers and Increasing Options” sponsored by Madison House Autism Foundation and Purple Cherry Architects.
Housing and disability experts, parents, and non-profit leaders shared emerging innovative housing concepts and flourishing existing models. They also identified barriers limiting public sector and private enterprise initiatives working to meet the demand for housing for the half million adults with autism coming of age within the next few years.
Roundtable participants developed a 10-point action plan to address barriers and leverage new opportunities: Housing Roundtable Follow Up and Action Items. Madison House welcomes all those interested in joining one of the work groups to help improve opportunities for adults with autism and other intellectual disabilities.
MHAF welcomes contributions of time, talent and money to continue to work with organizations and individuals across the country to break down barriers and support public/private partnerships to create housing for adults with autism and other disabilities. No parent should have to live with the nightmare of not know where their child will call home when they are no longer able to care for them.
Special thanks and much gratitude to our co-host, Purple Cherry Architects ~ Cathy Cherry and Heather Matheu ~ for their vision and work on this event and for their tireless advocacy for better housing for autistic adults.
Thank you to all the participants (in alphabetical order):
- Catherine Boyle, President, Autism Housing Pathways
- Cathy Purple Cherry, Principal, Purple Cherry Architects Purposeful Architecture
- Debbie Cowan, Assoc. Executive Director, Bellefaire JCB
- Jeff Deutsch, Executive Director, A SPLINT (ASPies Linking with NTs)
- Peter Dollard, Chief of Universal Design & Assistive Technology, The Center for Discovery
- Arnie Dordick, Executive Director, Langton Green
- Jacquie Doty Former Director of Collateral Policy, Freddie Mac
- Betsy Farmer,Co-Founder, Promise in Brevard
- John Hussman, Co-Founder, Hussman Foundation
- Teresa Hussan, Co-Founder, Hussman Foundation
- Saanen Kerson, Associate Director, Vine Village, Inc.
- Jack Kosik, Executive Director & Co-Founder, Noah’s Ark of Central Florida
- Gonzalo Laje, Director, Washington Behavioral Medicine Associates, LLC
- Desiree Kameka, Director of Community Education and Advocacy, Madison House Autism Foundation
- Mari-Anne Kehler, Executive Director, FRED Conferences, a Golden Heart Ranch Production
- Heather Matheu, Business Development Manager, Purple Cherry Architects Purposeful Architecture
- Marjorie McAfee, Reporter, NBC: Dateline
- Karen McDonough, Partner, McDonough & Stadelmann Consulting
- Mark Olson, President & CEO, LTO Ventures
- Ian Paregol, Executive Director, CSAAC
- Cindy Plavier-Truitt, CEO, Humanim
- Gregory A. Prince, Co-Founder, Madison House Autism Foundation
- JaLynn Prince, Co-Founder & President, Madison House Autism Foundation